
I was getting pretty frustrated to see so many foreigners doing such wonderful things in Cambodia but I did not feel like I saw enough people empowering Cambodians to run their own programs and to help their own people...until we met with the group of college students.
This organization is run by Cambodians and they have developed curriculum to teach Cambodian college students to make a difference, help their own people, get involved in business, politics, etc. We got into break out groups and talked with the students and heard about their ideas and own personal plans to make changes and help people in their country. And they had a huge heart for sex trafficking too and ending domestic violence. It was such a breath of fresh air and I was so proud of all of them. They have better ideas than I do. They can be more effective than I can. And those are the people I want to support and work with. I am going to stay in touch with the Director of their school and maybe able to be an American ambassador for them and help them to raise support to continue to do what they are doing and to multiply their work.
This organization is run by Cambodians and they have developed curriculum to teach Cambodian college students to make a difference, help their own people, get involved in business, politics, etc. We got into break out groups and talked with the students and heard about their ideas and own personal plans to make changes and help people in their country. And they had a huge heart for sex trafficking too and ending domestic violence. It was such a breath of fresh air and I was so proud of all of them. They have better ideas than I do. They can be more effective than I can. And those are the people I want to support and work with. I am going to stay in touch with the Director of their school and maybe able to be an American ambassador for them and help them to raise support to continue to do what they are doing and to multiply their work.
1 comment:
I know what you mean, Michelle! I have been frustrated in the past when foreigners are running all the programs in a country. Let's resource, educate and empower the people to do it!
Post a Comment