In my last blog you read about Lea (the KLAN story) and her breakthrough after she forgave a man who hurt her about 20 years ago…! Man, she is a whole new person!
In the picture above we are with Lea, her son, Rodrick, and 2 of his little girls.
Rodrick's, is the typical story of a young man growing up in a rough neighborhood:
only 23 years old;
already the father of FIVE little girls;
...from 4 different "baby-mamas;"
and a couple of felonies on his record.
But God has been speaking to him and stirring up hope and change in his heart…
After sitting outside for awhile, he actually invited us into his house…WHICH IS A HUGE DEAL…! We have known him for several years through Lea and he has NEVER invited us into his home.
Inside, he started to really open up and share about a recent dream in which he saw himself DEAD in a coffin. Then a few days later a close friend unexpectedly died. These 2 things OBVIOUSLY shook him up and made him start thinking about his life.
This might sound crazy, but when he told us he saw himself dead in his dream, we were actually ENCOURAGED…and could encourage him!
It reminded us of Jesus' teachings: DYING to yourself and your old life…becoming a NEW creation with a NEW LIFE! This NEW LIFE is His gift to us…a LIFE of following His WONDERFUL ways!
His ways, lead us on the RIGHT PATH and He PROTECTS us along the way! When everything else can leave us feeling empty and longing for more, HE FILLS our emptiness with PURPOSE and His LOVE OVERFLOWS!
Mark 8:35 (NLT)
If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it.
John 12:24 (NLT)
I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce MANY NEW kernels - a plentiful harvest of NEW LIVES.
Galatians 2:20 (NLT)
My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by TRUSTING in the Son of God, who loved me and gave HIS life for ME.
Psalm 23 (NLT)
The Lord is my shepherd;
I HAVE ALL THAT I NEED.
He lets me REST in green meadows;
he leads me beside PEACEFUL streams.
He renews my strength. HE GUIDES ME ALONG RIGHT PATHS, bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
I WILL NOT BE AFRAID.
Your rod and your staff PROTECT and COMFORT me in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
MY CUP OVERFLOWS WITH BLESSINGS.
Surely your GOODNESS and UNFAILING LOVE will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.
We are believing Rodrick's life is going to drastically change…he will die to his old self and become a new man…truly ALIVE! And lead his family, friends and community in Jesus' ways!
PLEASE BELIEVE and PRAY WITH US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I write this, I just realized that I named this blog: "ALIVE" 6 years ago. I remember a friend asking me questions about why I was writing the blog, which lead me to the name: ALIVE! My life was (and is) drastically changing and I felt like I was FINALLY ALIVE...on the journey in life that I was created for!!!!!!! With purpose and with a constant best friend: Jesus!
It was easy to "die" to some things, but others were harder...
I had to give up CONTROL…and it turns out The Creator is a lot better at managing my life than me… :)
I had to give up believing I was my own financial provider…
I used to worry about money CONSTANTLY…even though I always had a paycheck and money in savings, I would worry what would I do if I lost my job…!?!? I would feel anxious and almost panicked. For the last 6 years, I rarely think about money, I know that no matter what, I will be taken care of and will have all that I need.
I had to give up my entitlement to have "outbursts of anger," when I felt it was "justified."
…and it turns out I like myself A LOT more when I am operating with self control and grace! AND it turns out people normally blow up or shut down in responce to anger….BUT they actually respond and graciously change with love, gentleness and patience! Galatians 5:16-26 changed my life...and all the people around me! ;) ;) :)
Dang, I am in AWE writing this, it is so good to remember what He has done for me!
And to remember how good His ways are. Why do I hesitate to obey, or follow him? Why do I doubt His goodness? His ways SERIOUSLY lead us on the right paths!
His NEW LIFE is soooooo WORTH IT!
It makes me think of one of my favorite songs…Jesus is inviting us all to COME AWAY WITH HIM...DIE to the life we are trying to "make happen" on our own and striving to "stay alive" or above water in…He has a MIRACULOUS, WILD AND CRAZY ADVENTURE FOR US!
Come Away With Me
By Jesus Culture
No comments:
Post a Comment