Monday, January 5, 2009

I am Honored to Wash Their Feet

Over the last few months, we have had several amazing opportunities to go into the brothels (prostitution houses) to begin building relationships with girls and the management. Sure we have had plenty of rejection, but boy we have had so many open doors too. We have taken the girls Thanksgiving dinner baskets, Christmas presents (donated by churches and small groups) and we recently had the opportunity to go in and wash their feet and give them free pedicures. The girls were extremely appreciative and frankly blown away with the love we were pouring on them...

When I commented on one girl’s beautiful feet, she said, “oh no, I have ugly feet, my boyfriend tells me they are too big and ugly.” But she truly had gorgeous feet and we all reassured her. I continued to wash her feet, massage her heels, and rub rasberry scented lotion on her feet. She looked at me, took a deep breath and spoke softly, “You are making me feel so special, like I am not the ugliest girl in this room.”

A customer arrived, the housemama called, “whose turn is it?” They all sat quietly, one of the girls went to answer the door and came back, a young white girl was requested. This girl went away with 4 unpainted toenails and a look of total defeat and disappointment on her face. We looked her in the eyes and said, “we will be here when you get back.”

We had explained to the girls we were from the church and we wanted to let them know we love them and wanted to do something special for them. We would ask if there is anything we could pray about for them. Most wanted prayers for their children and a couple requested bibles.

One girl came and sat down next to her friend that came in later and just starred blankly as we painted her friends nails. After some time of silence, she told her friend, “Ya know, these ladies will pray for you if you want them to.” It confirmed for me that they really understood why we were there. We were not there just to wash feet and paint toes…we were there to share the love of Jesus with them and I believe they understood that.

After some time, the housemama asked us, “but why are you washing our feet?” At that time we were able to explain Jesus’ love for them and that Jesus washed his disciples feet before he died on the cross for their sins.

It was the most significant day of my life and I am honored to wash their feet. These women and young girls are broken and defeated, mistreated and abused all day long…everyone has her own story of how she got there. Jesus loved and forgave prostitutes and I believe I was created to love them like Jesus would when he was here on this earth…and so I will continue to wash their feet…

To read some sweet stories in the Bible on washing feet see:
John 12: 1-7; John 13: 1-17; Luke 7: 36-50

3 comments:

Joe D. Soliz said...

Wow, that is truly amazing. It's inconceivable that even while you were there these girls were still being called out to prostitution. I actually had to read that part twice to make sure that's what it said. My heart broke when I read that. I pray that God continues to give you strength in such a dire situation. But amidst the ugly reality of it, God's love was still able to shine through and it's incredible that these girls were open to receive and understand it. You're doing outstanding work and we're all so very proud of you.

Anonymous said...

That is truly unbelievable. I am so sad that this is the life of these girls. I will pray for you and all the work that you are doing. I will pray that these girls know that they are daughters of a loving Heavenly Father and he loves them.

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle,
Jeff Schueler here. Keep the updates coming. I am honored to know that someone I count as a friend is doing such amazing work!