At the end of last year, I was feeling pretty burnt out, and well, actually, kinda depressed. I was discouraged, disappointed and frustrated, feeling like nothing I did really made that big of a difference. So at the beginning of 2012, I knew I had to make some changes, because giving up was not an option. First, I slowly, but totally changed my eating habits and began to even run a little bit. That has done wonders for me. I am beginning to truly understand that I am a physical, emotional and spiritual person all in one. That is how God created us, so I can't ignore one part, even if I flourish in another part and expect to be balanced or whole. And I personally had to change how I was living physically to get emotional and spiritual breakthrough...its been HUGE for me!
Next, I started dreaming with God...I had to really surrender everything that I thought I should be doing; all that I wanted to be doing; and all that I figure other people expect me to be doing. As I opened my mind and let go of control, huge dreams and vision started to come ALIVE. Things that I have had in my heart and mind since I moved into this neighborhood over 3 years ago. But I never believed I could do these things because I felt overwhelmed by the size of the task, and felt totally unequipped to do it. When these ideas came back to me, I had to force myself to believe and trust God that it was possible...and then I had to force myself to tell someone about it. :) And now what once seemed crazy and unrealistic, now is becoming a reality and I feel so FREE, so ALIVE and so HAPPY!
Doubts and fear have tried to crush this, but God has assured me and reassured me that nothing is impossible with Him (Luke 1:37). And I don't need to wait until I am "equipped," He actually works better when we are weak and relying on Him to do the work (2 Corinthians 12:9). I have had to take a strong stance against these fearful thoughts and doubts (2 Corinthians 10:4-5) and I am telling you, that is the only way I can move forward.
I want to tell you everything but there is too much to tell and it actually changes everyday, so it is hard to know what to write and I try to keep my blogs short and to the point. So for now, here is a sneak peek of what I have been researching and starting to move froward with...
In short, it is economic empowerment. I want to help women use their gifts and talent to make a living (oh, there is so much I want to tell you). Right now it is clear that the international refugee women make AMAZING ethnic food and BEAUTIFUL handmade products and after doing plenty of research, I believe there is a market for it here in Dallas (and all of the U.S.). So I want to help them market their skills and products in the American market.
I will stop for now, but the pictures will give you a few hints below...
Doubts and fear have tried to crush this, but God has assured me and reassured me that nothing is impossible with Him (Luke 1:37). And I don't need to wait until I am "equipped," He actually works better when we are weak and relying on Him to do the work (2 Corinthians 12:9). I have had to take a strong stance against these fearful thoughts and doubts (2 Corinthians 10:4-5) and I am telling you, that is the only way I can move forward.
I want to tell you everything but there is too much to tell and it actually changes everyday, so it is hard to know what to write and I try to keep my blogs short and to the point. So for now, here is a sneak peek of what I have been researching and starting to move froward with...
In short, it is economic empowerment. I want to help women use their gifts and talent to make a living (oh, there is so much I want to tell you). Right now it is clear that the international refugee women make AMAZING ethnic food and BEAUTIFUL handmade products and after doing plenty of research, I believe there is a market for it here in Dallas (and all of the U.S.). So I want to help them market their skills and products in the American market.
I will stop for now, but the pictures will give you a few hints below...
We are learning from a wonderful group called Vickery Threads.
They work with refugee women and teach them life skills and sewing and have tons of FUN together. They use donated burlap coffee bags from a local coffee shop. I LOVE re-purposing!
This is Sheree, she is one of my best friends and lives here in the same apartment complex with me.
She has been a huge encouragement and my partner in praying through and moving forward in this new adventure!
EEK! I used a sewing machine for the first time in my life...
...AND I made this clutch purse in just an hour or 2.
Can you believe it??? I am so proud of it!
Can you believe it??? I am so proud of it!
Sheree and I have tried knitting with our 2 neighbors and friends: Maryam and Haneen.
Look at the all the beautiful colors in this picture: the fruit, the yarn, and my beloved couch...he he! :)
This was Haneen's first time to knit, she is 17 years old, and so smart, she picked it up really quickly.
This was Maryam's creation. She walked in the door and said, "I don't remember how to do it," then she picked up the needles and BOOM, she was on a roll!
This was my creation, I don't learn as fast as Haneen does, but I am getting the hang of it. :)
It has been such an easy and fun way to hang out and have something to do together. Great laughs and conversations happen with knitting needles in hand.
It has been such an easy and fun way to hang out and have something to do together. Great laughs and conversations happen with knitting needles in hand.
If you haven't started to hear about the food truck buzz, you will soon. All I will say now is, CHECK IT OUT, SUPPORT IT, LOVE IT, HECK do a food truck yourself...cause I LOVE IT! :) ...and I think it might be a great opportunity for the refugees to use their amazing ethnic food and start a small business to support their family.
This is a small food truck park in Ft Worth, and there is talk of one coming to Dallas.
Such a fun way to hang out outside, with lots of friends and kids love it too!
Outdoor Picnic at White Rock Lake
We had to get outside NOW cause its about to get TOO hot!
My first Iranian food...A-MA-ZING!
This was the most tasty marinaded, grilled chicken I have ever had.
This was the most tasty marinaded, grilled chicken I have ever had.
Me and some of my gal-pals at the picnic.
Subeit is getting so big, crawling and standing but not walking yet.
Another group shot at the picnic.
Fun times on my balcony...March was such gorgeous weather.
I would sit out on my balcony and was never alone for more than a few minutes.
So I mentioned I am starting to eat a lot healthier now...here was a random and easy breakfast.
Ezekiel toast, almond butter and blue berries.
It was yummy, but I have no idea why I took a picture of it though :) ha!
Ezekiel toast, almond butter and blue berries.
It was yummy, but I have no idea why I took a picture of it though :) ha!
Roasted bell peppers, mustard greens, sweet potato and a tasty homemade walnut sauce.
Mmm, mmm, good!
And there is even dessert!
All the ingredients in these cookies were so healthy: whole wheat flour, egg replacer, applesauce, 70% cocoa chocolate chunks etc, etc.
CLOTHING CLOSET UPDATE:
thanks to everyone for the clothing donations...guess I didn't need winter clothes after all. HA!
Next we need summer clothes. But no rush, we have stock from last year we need to get through but I am sure we will need more soon.
Currently: we DO NEED small clothes for adults like petite women's and small men's or teenagers size clothes.














No comments:
Post a Comment