Well I did it…
I turned in my 2-week notice last Monday, and Friday August 8th will be my last day. I have been there for 4 years and it has truly been a family and home to me and I am very sad to leave many friends behind, but I am so ready for my new life in full-time ministry…
What will I be doing?
I will be working with a community ministry...Our vision is to provide real community within this apartment complex to resettle refugees and human trafficking survivors. We are creating a work of unity among non-profit organizations, churches, and volunteers to organize ESL, life skills and job training classes, with many more services to come. We hope this concept can be easily adopted by other cities and multiplied across the nation. We exist to be the hands and feet of Jesus in the local community. Much more to come on our vision and work…
How did this happen so fast?
As you know, in May I left my treasured apartment to move into the low-income apartment complex in the city that we partnered with. When my heart committed to this so quickly, I knew this is what I wanted to do full-time. I did not know if it would be one month or one year but I knew I wanted and needed to do this work. The need for me to work full-time came quickly and I started trying to prepare… Going full-time in this ministry would require me to raise money to pay my own salary and that takes a lot of time and preparation. So for several weeks (maybe a month or 2) I have been asking, how do I do this, when do I quit my job, how much money do I need to live on, and how do I raise money for my salary???
And then we got a call… A non-profit organization that we have partnered with called us with a problem: they have grant money that they need to get rid of by September 30th, and they have to spend on salaries and on human trafficking. Knowing that Christina and I wanted to go full-time and were about to begin raising support, they offered to hire us on a temporary basis to help with the human trafficking street outreach (raising awareness), ending on September 30th. Can you believe it? I can’t imagine a better opportunity for my transition into this ministry. It will be like an internship, I am going to have the opportunity to learn everything about Human Trafficking and be able to go out and educate the community. It is pretty clear to me that God provided this opportunity and answered all of my questions with a simple answer, “the time is now, just follow me, one step at a time, and I will provide for you.” So I did, I am, and I will follow Him! This is something I have been longing for, praying for and needing to do since I wrote that paper in college (see previous blog). God is not just opening doors, he is pushing me through them! It is clear there is no time to waste, He has work for us to do and He wants us to get started NOW! I feel so honored to have this opportunity!
Am I getting paid?
I will get paid a small amount from the non-profit organization until September 30th. With my savings I should be okay for a month or two as I begin to raise support. Starting October 1st, like a missionary, I will be relying on the support of others, on a monthly basis, to pay my salary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
michelle! so that's what u've been up to since we last talked! There's something special about cross-cultural trips that really seem to open our eyes and expand the horizon of our life goal. where are you in dallas now, i'll be moving out of my las colinas apt soon as well to go live with a friend near frankfort/toll - let me know if you have some time to catch up!
-Xiao
Michelle that is great news! It's great to see that everything is coming together for you to pursue this newfound passion you have. God is truly going to use you mightily and I can't wait to see how!
You are right, Michelle! God has been pushing you and I through these doors. He is so good and I am honored to take this leap of faith with you!
Congrats to you Michelle and to Christina. I'm so proud of both of you and wish you all the best! Kyle Stickens.
Praise God! My spirit is encouraged that you and Christina are stepping out on faith and trusting God to provide for your every need! May you find comfort in knowing that you are doing God's works for God's children! I am all smiles and praising God for your service!
Keep striving towards spiritual excellence!!
~Nicole Wood, WHI
I am so proud of you!! How many people can say they have really made a difference in this world.?You are such an amazing person, the ministry is truly blessed to have you working with them. Good luck...we love you!
Michelle- this is so wonderful and I am so excited for you! Congratulations, God is good. :)
Post a Comment